In the late 1920’s, Medford Lakes was a very popular vacation community located in the New Jersey pines, some eighteen miles southeast of Camden and within easy reach of Philadelphia. One of Medford Lakes prominent citizens, Leon Todd, believed that a golf course was needed to provide its residents and summer visitors with a complete range of recreational and sporting opportunities.
In 1929, Leon Todd’s dream became a reality when the Medford Lakes Development Company acquired the 115 acre Shrider Farm. This group then hired a Scotsman, Alex Findlay, to design and build the original nine holes of the Medford Lakes Golf Club.
Alexander H. Findlay, known by many as the “Father of American Golf”, was not only a top golfer for many years but, was a prolific golf course architect with at least two hundred designs to his credit, including such area courses as Tavistock, Llanerch Country Club and Burlington Country [...]